Ground was recently broken to build “Forest City” in Liuzhou, a city in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region.
- Forest City can absorb nearly 10,000 tons of carbon dioxide and 57 tons of pollutants every year, and produce 900 tons of oxygen
- 1 million plants of more than 100 species and 40,000 trees
- Community can house 30,000
- Scheduled to open in 2020
- “Forest City will help to decrease the average air temperature, improve local air quality, create noise barriers, generate habitats, and improve local biodiversity in the region.”
And here some cool pictures:
Of course, this is all a bit utopian, and reality will undoubtedly be less pristine. But I want to propose something: Liuzhou is a really pretty city right now. Tourists to Guangxi province usually flock to the prefecture-level city of Guilin, but judging by these pictures, Liuzhou might be worth a stop:
Very scenic. According to Trip Advisor, there are lots and lots of parks in Liuzhou, including a few with some decent hikes.
OK, it’s not that impressive. But Forest City is coming, which means we’ll be hearing a lot more about this place in the near future. Go experience Liuzhou before it becomes cool.